Re: Carbon Canister??

Subject: Re: Carbon Canister??
From: Randall <randallyoung@earthlink.net>
Date: Wed, 19 Sep 2001 21:10:50 -0700
Cc: triumphs@autox.team.net
Harry :

I'm not certain about any of this, hopefully someone else will give you
a more definitive answer.  But, if memory serves, those lines are the
float bowl vents.  For the engine to run, they need to be vented to the
atmosphere, which normally happens through the carbon cannister.  When
the anti-runon solenoid is activated, it blocks the vent to the
atmosphere, allowing manifold vacuum to build up in the carbon
cannister, and be applied to the float bowls.  (And other things of
course, but the float bowl vacuum is what kills the engine.)

Possibilites include :
1) The new loose charcoal has fallen into the ARS, partially blocking
it, or the ARS is blocked for some other reason (failed).
2) The ARS circuit is somehow being activated (or is mis-wired).
3) The vacuum lines to the cannister are mis-routed.
4) There may be a filter element in the bottom of the cannister, that is
partially plugged.
5) The new charcoal has packed into the cannister so tightly that a
partial vacuum builds up.

I think you get the idea here ...

Randall