Stuck Clutch, Question and Answer

To: "'triumphs@autox.team.net'" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Stuck Clutch, Question and Answer
From: "Freeman, Noah" <nfreeman@baincapital.com>
Date: Mon, 24 Sep 2001 17:54:02 -0400
Hey all

Wanted to report on a cool clutch unsticking trick I learned the easy way
from a mgb owner

The problem- after 7 week storage, my tr4's clutch stuck in the "connected"
position...pedal, hydraulics (fluifs!), linkage all worked normally, but
clutch never disengaged....after much checking/fiddling, I was worried that
major surgery was called for...

The solution- point car downhill, parking break on, put in neutral, warm car
up thoroughly.  Shut car off, put in second gear, release brake, holding
clutch down (remember it is stuck though) as car slowly chuffs downill under
compression, hit ignition.  Engine ignites into 2nd gear through locked
clutch...huge jolt of engine catching through uncompressed but stuck clutch
unsticks clutch!  Magic!

My question- this will only happen worse, I imagine, over 6 month winter
storage...very hard to get car onto hill w/ no clutch...wouldn't want to try
that trick again...can I just store the car w/ the clutch peddle jammed down
so the plates don't touch + cant stick?  Wat will the hydraulics/ springs
think of that?

Thanks all

Noah