Re: vacuun advance/retard differences?

To: sujit roy <sujitroy@hotmail.com>
Subject: Re: vacuun advance/retard differences?
From: Trevor Boicey <tboicey@brit.ca>
Date: Tue, 25 Sep 2001 18:21:53 -0400
Cc: triumphs@autox.team.net
sujit roy wrote:

> What is the difference between a vacuum retard and a vacuum advance unit?

  One retards the timing when vacuum is applied to it, the
other advances it.

  They are either similar units connected so it pulls the
distributor plate the other way, or else the vacuum is
applied to the other side of the diaphragm so it pushes
instead of pulls.

> My US Stag was fitted with one type, vaccum advance I think, but is no
> longer available.  I bought the other type and want to know what changes to
> the timing do I need to make the car run right.

  Generally the vacuum advance and vacuum retards are
connected to different vacuum sources; sources that give
vacuum in different ways at different times.

  So... there is no quick way to replace one with
another.

--
Trevor Boicey, P. Eng.
Ottawa, Canada, tboicey@brit.ca