Re: Timing Cover Deadener

To: <Mike.Smith@bbdo.ca>
Subject: Re: Timing Cover Deadener
From: "John Macartney" <jonmac@ndirect.co.uk>
Date: Tue, 25 Sep 2001 23:20:17 +0100
Cc: "Triumph List" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Mike Smith wrote:
I've read on a number of occasions that the front of the timing cover
on a 3A should have some type of sound deadening material to be
'correct'. Any suggestions as what it is, or what to use. I've read
that it resembles a batch of Bondo that has begun setting , however
I'm sure that's not going to do it!
Any thoughts, ideas etc would be appreciated.

It was a sort of white bitumen (or something very like it) and when
applied, looked as though it had been put on with a wooden spoon by
someone in a blindfold. Other cars in the range were afflicted with it
as well but in Gold Seal guise. Similar effect in relief to a face
that has been on the receiving end of a custard pie. Didn't achieve
its objective of quietening anything and for the first few weeks after
application it stank like hell. If you *have* to have it, perhaps Fred
can come up with a powder coated alternative? IMHO, an aspect of
originality that the purist can well do without.

Jonmac
MG 4305 DLO 1970 Triumph 2.5PI
D 152318 1950 Ferguson TED20

IN THE SHADOW OF MY FATHER