TR3a rear axle end play

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: TR3a rear axle end play
From: a Wallace <wallaces@superaje.com>
Date: Thu, 27 Sep 2001 22:02:26 -0400
Putting the rear axles back in, and there is supposed to be 0.008 to 0.012"
float, or something like that. I have the spec around but anyway I am
getting more like 0.040 to 0.060" - both sides! - using the same shims that
were there. Even with no shims, there is a bit of end play.
I feel like I am missing something obvious. It's almost as if the brake
backing plate shouldn't be between the flange and the bearing housing, but
of course it needs to be there.
What's up with this? Sage advice welcomed.
TIA,
JIm