J Type OD Won't Stay Engaged.

To: "Don Clark" <d@seanet.com>
Subject: J Type OD Won't Stay Engaged.
From: David Massey <105671.471@compuserve.com>
Date: Sun, 30 Sep 2001 11:21:31 -0400
Cc: "[unknown]" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Message text written by "Don Clark"
>I installed a J-type OD and transmission in my 72 TR6. I have had problems
with it since installation. It leaks about a quart every 200 miles and
third
OD doesn't like to stay engaged. It has done both of these things since I
installed it about 6 months ago.

The OD stays engaged in 4th gear, but in 3rd it disengages when I let up on
the gas. It doesn't appear to disengage at any other time. Because it
disengages only in 3rd and only when I let up on the gas I feel that this
is
NOT an electrical problem. I am wondering if anyone out there has had
similar problem with a J type or can help me figure out what's wrong the
OD.
<

Don,  it may still be an electrical problem.  At any rate here's something
to try that is too easy to pass on: the lockout switch (on top of the
transmission) may be adjusted at a marginal position.  Try removing on of
the spacing washers under it to make sure you are getting positive
engagement.  Since this engages bosses on the 3-4 shifter rail there are
two bosses on this rail - one for 3rd and one for 4th - these bosses will
not be exactly the same and the 4th boss may be slightly higher causing it
to work more consistently.

The 200 miles per qt is another issue.  This is clearly not acceptable.  My
transmission makes a mess anywhere I park it and I only add a pint every
5,000 miles or so.  Your leak is pretty serious.  But most likely it is a
gasket issue and can be easily rectified.  The bad news is that it will
have to be removed form the car. :-(

Good luck

Dave Massey
71 TR6 (J-type)