Re: TR3 rear hub question - installing new lugs

To: Dan Buettner <danb@thelittlemacshop.com>, Triumph <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: TR3 rear hub question - installing new lugs
From: Steven Newell <steven@cravetechnology.com>
Date: Wed, 03 Oct 2001 14:21:25 -0600
Dan Buettner wrote:

> I have got the old lugs out of my TR3's rear hubs.  That was a lot of
> fun - I'd never really used a handheld grinder before!
>
> Anyway - I've got new lugs to put in, and my question is this: in
> addition to peening the lug on the back of the hub to prevent
> loosening, would a small tack weld on each lug be a good idea?
>
> Seems like someone asked this very question not so long ago, but I
> haven't saved that message...

Mark Evans posted this summary 6/21/01:

---------

Thanks for all the responses to the TR4A spinning lug questions.
Solutions and observations offered:

1.) Don't weld it. It will weaken the lug and cause potentially dangerous
failure under load.
2.) If using J-B weld, make sure it is not present between the head of the lug
and the hub. It should only be used in the splined area.
3.) A Helicoil won't work on a TR4A. The lug is not threaded it is splined or
reeded and pressed in.
4.) The peening loctite method has worked for many others.

--
Steven "so organized, and yet I lost my TR4 keys" Newell
Denver, CO