Re: Comment on new cars vs. TR4 ...or Bored with Bugzilla

To: nfreeman@baincapital.com, triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Comment on new cars vs. TR4 ...or Bored with Bugzilla
From: "" <greenman62@hotmail.com>
Date: Mon, 05 Nov 2001 21:13:39 FILETIME=[BDAD6EF0:01C1663E]
>So I went to test drive the Subaru impreza WRX (i want
>4wd)...turbucharged intercooled 4 cylinder boxer engine (intercooler
>vent on the hood looks realy cool), 230hp out of 2 liters of
>displacement (wow).  0-60 under 6 seconds on dry cold days.  Car could
>not get better reviews for its price.  I was VERY excited to try this
>thing out...

As a TR4 guy who traded his 5 year old Mazda 626 in for an Eclipse GSX I can
commiserate... About a week after I got the Mits in 1990, I was passing this
battered pick-up north of the tiny town where I lived. As I pulled along
side the guy in the pick-up nailed the loud pedal, insisting on not being
passed. I wasn't in any mood to play games so, nailed it. The 2 Litre turbo
AWD rocket simply hunkered down walked on by the pick-up. When I got in the
clear and looked at the speedo I was doing the ton +10. The tach still had
plenty of room... It felt like I was doing 70!!! Think about it. The TR is 2
litres and about 2000lbs, the Mits was 2 litres and ~3600 lbs. Aparently, 28
or so years of development ARE significant...

I've never been over 100 MPH in my `4 (dispite its improvements), but I have
been over 80. I do notice the car seems to get quieter above 75
and you get that great 4 cylinder howl...

You could do a lot worse that the Subaru WRX... My daughter and her fiance'
(the hard core rallyist) recently bought the wagon. They love it. I think
where you will value the WRX's merit will be when the weather gets funky...
Besides, if you get the wagon you'll get a dual purpose vehicle... A car
that can haul ass and Triumph parts.

Tah,

Greg Petrolati Champaign, Illinois       1962 TR4 (CT4852L)