Re: Do I have a solenoid problem?

To: Joe Merone <jmerone@rocketmail.com>
Subject: Re: Do I have a solenoid problem?
From: Randall <randallyoung@earthlink.net>
Date: Thu, 08 Nov 2001 08:37:26 -0800
Cc: Triumph List <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Joe Merone wrote:

> Just
> what does the solenoid do anyway?

Joe :

It's different on different TRs, hence the previous answer wasn't quite
right for your car.  On a TR6, the starter solenoid first moves the
starter gear into engagement with the flywheel, and then closes the
relay contacts to pass current to the starter.  On your car, I believe
it also bypasses the ballast resistor to give a hotter spark.  On other
TRs (like my TR3A), the solenoid is a simple relay, the starter uses
inertia to turn a screw (known as a Bendix) to (hopefully) engage the
gears.  In either case, I wouldn't recommend jumpering across the large
solenoid terminals.  The starter current is quite high, there's a good
chance of damaging the terminals or the tool used to bridge them.

The moving ring gear is the most likely explanation for your problem,
but it's marginally possible it could be worn gear teeth or another
starter problem.  It's a lot harder to change the ring gear (have to
pull the engine), I'd be tempted to try a new starter first (even tho it
likely won't help).

Randall