RE: What's That Smell?

To: "'Geo Hahn'" <geohahn@theriver.com>, TR <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: What's That Smell?
From: Mark Hooper <mhooper@pixelsystems.com>
Date: Tue, 13 Nov 2001 13:19:54 -0500
I was always told that originally the "new car smell" came from the interior
materials of the machine. However over time the construction of automobiles
changed and the characteristic smell of cars was also altered. However
people did not associate the scent of an actual new car with "new car
smell". They complained that new car did not smell as such. Thus was born
the habit of all car manufacturers of spraying the inside of a new car with
a perfume simulating "new car smell" during manufacture. This perfume was a
closely guarded secret for some time, however I believe that now one can
actually buy it in stores.

Personally, I believe the real odour of a Triumph comes from a combination
of bugs marinating in little pools of gasoline on the right side and brake
fluid on the left all wafted by a fan flinging prestone and motor oil
liberally about the engine bay. Throw in undercoating cooking from the
exhaust pipe and you have it. To recreate that true Triumph experience to
sustain you through the long winter months, an easy-to-do home procedure can
be performed. Simply paint your eyebrows with a mixture of creosote and
turpentine and then set them alight. Then immediately extinguish the flames
with a cloth soaked in warm prestone. The procedure, if followed correctly,
will simulate most of the olfactory sensations of driving an LBC for a
period lasting at least 3 weeks.

Cheers,

Mark Hooper
72 TR6