More rant (was I hate emissions testing)

Subject: More rant (was I hate emissions testing)
From: Randall <randallyoung@earthlink.net>
Date: Sat, 17 Nov 2001 22:18:40 -0800
Cc: triumphs@autox.team.net
levilevi wrote:

> Delete now if you're tired of this thread.  Cause this isn't going to be
> pretty.

Ditto.

> For starters the EPA IS a Federal agency
> and it was Congress that passed the Clean Air Act.

Thereby creating yet another agency full of political appointees, not
answerable to the voting public, yet making decisions with the force of
law.  They are their own police, judge, jury and executioner, not even
bound by the Bill of Rights.

BTW, most states do have their own "mini-EPA", CA has several of them.
Since the constitutionality of the EPA is dubious, they rely on these
"mini-EPAs" to determine, and enforce, the 'laws' that affect most of us
directly.

> That legislation was also supported by many industrial groups and
> associations who had the foresight to realize that the economy (and the
> business climate) would actually be improved by reducing atmospheric loading
> of air pollutants.

Or, that they were unwilling to be pilloried as being in favor of air
pollution.  The recent mis-information about which car makers donated to
the WTC victims is a perfect example of the sort of bad publicity anyone
who tries to sell to the public _must_ avoid.

Many of those same industrial groups and associations have fiercely (but
quietly) defended their right to continue polluting.

> I think you SHOULD spend lots of time lobbying the Federal government to
> ease controls on vintage cars (I won't even tell you why that's barking up
> the wrong tree)

That's an easy one, it's because there are no Federal laws (or even EPA
'guidelines') that specify controls on vintage cars.  The specific
implementations are left to each state's "mini-EPA" (which is a big part
of the reason the rules are different from state to state).

And, most states are not likely to ease up on vintage cars, because
vintage car enthusiasts are small and weak, while the real polluters are
big and strong.  Since they even ignore their own studies that show the
majority of pollution from car exhaust comes from relatively late model
vehicles (with mechanical problems), it's not likely they will pay any
attention to us.

> Fortunately for you the CAA doesn't regulate "hot air".

Watch out Bud, that brush swings both ways ... <g>

Randall