Re: TR3A Windshield

To: bsmith@inetnow.net
Subject: Re: TR3A Windshield
From: "Mike Kitchener" <mikek@wanadoo.fr>
Date: Thu, 29 Nov 2001 10:37:21 +0100
Cc: triumphs@autox.team.net
bsmith@inetnow.net wrote :
> I am going to replace a cracked (original) windshield on my 1960 >TR3A.  I
> have the correct glass and sealing strip.  Are there any additional
> sealants needed?  Any hints or tips on doing this job?  I can't find
> anything in the manuals on windshield replacement.

Brent ,
Does the sealing strip have a square U-shaped cross section which
fits around the edge of the glass , but appears to be too thick to go
into the frame channel ? If so , this is what I had and it wasn't easy
to assemble .
We (  three persons ! ) started by putting liquid soap all over the
joint ( no additional sealant ) then fitted it around the glass up one
side across the top and down the other side , stretching it all the
time and leaving about 1" protuding down from the first side and all
the rest on the other side Now if the joint is stretched enough , the
top part of the frame can be fitted and the joint will retract into
place .
Now comes the difficult bit because the bottom of the glass is
concave .
Fit the corner brackets to the lower frame , then gradually ease it
onto the glass , starting at one end and stretching the joint all the
time until you get to the other end , trim off the joint and screw the
frame together . Then go and have a beer or two .
Note that the frame channels should be clean and smooth , the
Tenax pegs should not protude into the channel and when refitting
the stanchions to the screen the shortest screws go to the top and
the longest to the bottom .
Good luck ,