Re: TR3 2speed wipers

Subject: Re: TR3 2speed wipers
From: Randall <randallyoung@earthlink.net>
Date: Fri, 30 Nov 2001 23:47:05 -0800
Cc: Triumphs@autox.team.net
ZoboHerald@aol.com wrote:

> I don't know anything about the two-speed wiper motor used on the TR3/3A,
> except that it is a DR3 model, while the single-speed motor is a DR2.

This stuff always makes my head hurt !  Bill Piggott gives two different
S-T part numbers for the 2-speed wipers (with no change point), while
the TR2/3 SPC gives a different two numbers (with change point at
12567/12568).  To add to the confusion, the TR4A used a DR3A wiper motor
for the standard single-speed, and it's listed as a replacement for
earlier cars.  Visually, I don't see any difference between the DR3A
illustration, and the supposed DR2 on my car.

Anyway, the TR4A used a (optional) DR3 2-speed motor, with the same
switch as the 2-speed heater fan used through TR6.  That switch should
work in the center hole of a TR2/3 panel, if the hole is enlarged (which
it would be for the headlight switch as well).  Looking at Dan Master's
TR4A schematic, I don't believe the headlight switch will work.

However, I suspect there is not enough room around the TR2/3 upper panel
hole for either of these switches (and probably not for the original
2-speed switch either).  I wonder if that conundrum is why this seems to
be such a rare option !  The single-speed wiper switch was moved to the
top hole, so the panel dimmer rheostat could be in the center hole.
According to Piggott, the dimmer was phased in gradually, starting at
TS43000, but not becoming standard until TS60001.

Randall