rollbar reinforcement

To: "Triumphs@Autox.team.net daily digest" <triumphs@autox.team.net>, <nfreeman@baincapital.com>
Subject: rollbar reinforcement
From: "Jeffrey J. Barteet" <barteet@barteet.com>
Date: Fri, 7 Dec 2001 12:06:22 -0800 (PST)
I believe I recall a grassroots motorsports article a few years back where
a TR4 racer outlined 'boxing' his chassis and installing some brackets
that were welded to the frame and came up to the bottom of the sheetmetal
that forms the rear platform behind the seats.

He did that with the body removed, so that's not exactly convenient.

What hardware did you use to install the rollbar?  I had one bolted into
my former Brit roadster, an MGB, and it was very stiff. The PO had
installed the rollbar with, get this, SHEET METAL SCREWS.

I replaced those with 3/8" grade 8 fasteners and large, thick washers
underneath and it felt very sturdy. No flexing whatsoever.

Made for a nice 'handle' to push the car around with both in the shop and
in the lineup to get onto the track at Solo events.

G'luck.

-jeffrey