Re: TR3a camshaft end float

To: wallaces@superaje.com
Subject: Re: TR3a camshaft end float
From: "Mike Kitchener" <mikek@wanadoo.fr>
Date: Mon, 10 Dec 2001 17:12:39 +0100
Cc: triumphs@autox.team.net
a Wallace <wallaces@superaje.com> wrote :

> Today installed camshaft and bearing, and measured end float.
>Spec says
> .003 to .0075, or possibly .004 to .0075, depending where you
look. I'm
> a bit out though, at .228" What am I missing here? What
prevents the cam
> from moving backwards? (That's where all the extra play is.) I see
from
> wear on the cam sprocket that it was doing the job of keeping
the cam
> forward, yet Haynes clearly specifies measuring float before the
> sprocket is in place. Thanks, Jim

Jim ,
I believe that the sprocket must be fitted to the camshaft before
checking the end float .In fig 1.11 on page 29 Haynes shows the
end float with the sprocket fitted , but further on they do specify
checking end float before fitting the sprocket .
I just checked with a spare shaft , bearing and sprocket fitted on
the bench and get .006" .
But perhaps I'm just missing something too .
Hope this helps ,
Good luck ,

Mike Kitchener
60 TR3A TS 75178