Re: Reversed battery on a TR7

To: "Gerald Ferreira" <geraldferreira@hotmail.com>
Subject: Re: Reversed battery on a TR7
From: David Massey <105671.471@compuserve.com>
Date: Tue, 11 Dec 2001 08:22:55 -0500
Cc: "[unknown]" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Message text written by "Gerald Ferreira"
>I took the battery off to recharge it and when replacing it, placed on the
battery shelf the wrong way. It was only when the leads sparked on the
battery posts that I realised I had the leads the wrong way round. Now it
won't start. I've checked most things, but basically there is no spark at
the plugs, although there seems to be 12V to both the distributor and the
coil and there is a spark at the points. I suspect the coil, but I cannot
understand how reversing the polarity should damage the coil?
Have I missed something, can anybody suggest other things I might try??
<

Gerald, you didn't damage the coil but you may have damaged the
ignition module.  I do not know if it is reverse polarity protected but
if it isn't then it will very likely not survive even a momentary polarity
reversal.

Also check the alternator.  These will not tolerate a reverse polarity
either.

Good luck

Dave