Re: TR6 Differential Pinion Gear

To: "Williams, Bill (Atlanta)" <Bill.Williams@compaq.com>
Subject: Re: TR6 Differential Pinion Gear
From: Bill Kelly <bk54@erols.com>
Date: Wed, 12 Dec 2001 01:10:32 -0500
Cc: triumphs@autox.team.net
Bill,

You need a long rod, perhaps 2' long, with two holes drilled to allow it
to be bolted to opposite holes in the pinion flange. I used 1"x1"x24"
pine. The holes must be centered so the weight to either side is the same.

Create a 2-pound weight by filling an empty plastic jar or bottle with
1qt (4 cups) of water. I used Jif Super Chunk:> Put a lid on it. Tie a
string around it that won't come off when the jar is hanging by it. Tie
a loop in the other end of the string that's big enough to slide over
the rod.

Mark the rod at 7 1/2" and at 9" from the center. Bolt it to the flange
so it's horizontal.

When your shim pack is correct, the pinion will not turn while the
weight is hanging at the 7.5" mark, but will turn when you hang it at
the 9" mark.