Re: Subject: TR6 Differential Pinion Gear

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Subject: TR6 Differential Pinion Gear
From: Scott Tilton <sdtilton@yahoo.com>
Date: Wed, 12 Dec 2001 04:57:48 -0800 (PST)
"Williams, Bill (Atlanta)" Wrote:

Hi Guys,

I'm helping a fellow TR6 neighbor rebuild his TR6 differential.  The
differential has been removed and is on the bench.

We have a question that has us stumped.  With the pinion gear installed
in the differential unit and the pinion nut properly torqued,  the
pinion gear is suppose to begin to spin when 15 - 18 inch pounds of
torque is applied.  This torque is adjusted by adding or subtracting
shims.
Is there a "creative" way to measure that torque?

I've been looking at the book a bit since I've recently swapped rear ends in my
TR-6 and just for the fun of it. . . took the old busted one apart.

I could swear the Bently manual shows a picture of a small bar bolted to the
input flange.  It hangs off of it so that the bar is parallel to the ground. .
or to the stub axles inside the diff case if you like.

Then there is a weight that slides along that bar . . .
Kind of like the beam scales they use in the doctors offices.

My guess is that they slide the weight further and further out until the
gravitational force pulling it down is enough to turn the pinion.

Then just do the math . . .(two pound weight 6 inches off the centerline . .
12 inch pounds + a little bit for the weight of the bar itself.

I'd love to talk to you more about your differential rebuilding experiences.
Perhaps I'll contact you off list.

Scott Tilton
Leesburg VA
or bid at http://auctions.yahoo.com