cooling problems?

To: <Undisclosed-Recipient:;@fep3-orange.clear.net.nz;;;;>
Subject: cooling problems?
From: "Dave W" <dw_triumph@clear.net.nz>
Date: Thu, 13 Dec 2001 17:46:52 +1300
Here's a tricky one!!

My 2.5PI saloon is having some cooling problems. Here's what happens, I
start the thing up (from cold) and after about 5 minutes (idling,
800-950rpm) the temperature gauge is well past half way (almost at the "H"
white square), what would be causing that?

I've checked/replaced the gauge, temp sender and thermostat all to no avail.
I can put my finger in the radiator water without getting burnt, comparing
it to the 55Cdegree house hot tap temp the car would be about 65-75C. The
water pump is working very well, the radiator is clear, the block/head
waterways are clear, I haven't got the heater in (just a 12inch bypass hose
from the head outlet to the pump housing copper pipe) but that shouldn't
have any affect.

I can't work out why the gauge reading like it is.

Any ideas?

Thanks

DaveW