Elec. Ignition

To: Ed Hutchinson <seah@sunyit.edu>
Subject: Elec. Ignition
From: David Massey <105671.471@compuserve.com>
Date: Thu, 13 Dec 2001 13:33:44 -0500
Cc: "[unknown]" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Message text written by Ed Hutchinson
>I will be installing a Crane Elec. Ignition in my 74TR6. I was wondering
what would be the best coil to use with it and what spark plug wires would
be best. Also, what should the gap be on the plugs in order to take
advantage of the hotter spark?  Anything other advise would be greatly
appreciated.
<

Ed,

If you are talking about the Crane XR700 module it is merely a
point-replacement device.  The ignition system works the same as with a
well adjusted, fresh set points.  (Of course they will continue to work
like a well adjusted, fresh set of points for many years and many miles).

As far as what coil and wires to use, you can use stock coil and wires just
fine.  If you want to upgrade, that's fine, too.  If you want a hotter
spark you must change to a hotter coil.  A hotter spark makes having a cap
and rotor in good condition all the more important.  Same for wires.  But
stock equipment should be fine.

Cheers

Dave