RE: What Size Battery

To: Triumphs <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: What Size Battery
From: Randall Young <ryoung@NAVCOMTECH.COM>
Date: Thu, 13 Dec 2001 11:26:24 -0800
Alan :

The battery box on a TR3 is huge, almost any modern top-post battery will
fit physically.  I like to buy the largest capacity battery I can find at a
reasonably price, which is usually what's known as a "Group 27".  At least
in this case, bigger really is better.  In addition to compensating (to some
extent) for the rather anemic original charging system, a larger capacity
battery will usually last longer as well.  Plus, the original TR3 starter is
fairly current hungry, another reason for having a high-capacity battery.

Many people are fond of the 'Optima' brand battery, which is a sealed
gel-cell technology (the only one available for cars, AFAIK).  I've no
personal experience with it, but I have concerns about how well it will
tolerate a TR3's charging system (which tends to overcharge when no
accessories are on, and undercharge when they are).  The big plus of the
Optima is mostly just that it is sealed, so there's no (or at least very
little) chance of acid fumes corroding your battery box.  Most of the
rust-through holes on my car are around the battery box.

Randall
59 TR3A daily driver