Cam duration vs Weber 40DCOE reversion

To: triumph list <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Cam duration vs Weber 40DCOE reversion
From: aribert <aribert@c3net.net>
Date: Fri, 14 Dec 2001 05:54:49 -0500
If I'm going to remove the timing cover to install a speedi-sleeve on
the nose of the crank (actually the separate sealing ring that slides
over the crank) I thought I might correct another issue - shipwrights
disease is starting.

I was running Weber 40DCOEs on my then bone stock (as far as the engine
goes, Spit body swap is a another story) '71 GT6.  I never noticed the
dreaded Weber reversion.  Replaced the 2.0L with a 73 TR6 engine warmed
over w/ 9.3:1 CR and "S2" cam from BPNW.  Ever since then I have a fuel
smell after shutdown.  THis occurs several minutes to half an hour
later.  My current solution is to part in front of the garage and move
the car into the garage a few hours later. Unfortunately I have an
attached garage and my wife does not like the smell of gasoline nearly
as much as I do.

My initial assumption was heat soaking was "boiling" the gas out of the
carbs.  I machined and added 1/2 in. thick phenolic spacers between the
carbs and the intake, I make an insulated heat shield under the carbs
and I lowered the float height in the carbs.  Slight improvement, but
not significant.

Lately my thinking is that its a function of cam duration.  I have no
way of knowing if the "S2" cam grind is really an S2 grind and what
duration of cam would be less likely to produce this problem.  I'd
install the old GT6 cam if I had not sent it in for a core refund
(stupid in hind sight).

YOur thought please.  THis engine only has 25K miles on it and does not
need to be torn apart otherwise.  Does anyone have experience with the
short (about 1.5 in max length to fit inside of my K&N air cleaners)
intake trumpets - will this reduce the reversion?  I saw some
advertising that implied that trumpets would improve the carb spitting
issue.  I do not want to spend the money for trumpets unless I feel
somewhat confidant that there is a hope that they will improve the
condition.