Canadian Parts Dealer? or dealing with people

To: TR List <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Canadian Parts Dealer? or dealing with people
From: ebk@buffnet.net
Date: Tue, 01 Jan 2002 10:43:18 +0000
Happy New Year TR List Members!
        I've Been trying to catch-up on my backlog of TR Digest readings [busy
with work & snow :-), Buffalo area], when another friend sent me this
E-mail:
--------
Date: Sun, 30 Dec 2001 11:21:16 -0500
From: "Gerald  Van Vlack" <jerryvv@worldnet.att.net>
Subject: Canadian Parts Dealer

Fellow listers,
Has anyone ever dealt with Dave Ellsmere from Ontario Canada (Oakville
area
I think) on used parts? Any comments would be appreciated. I have tried
deal with him on two occasions with very strange results. Neither
occasion
has led to a deal being made.
Regards,
Jerry Van Vlack
--------

        I would like to respond to this for I DO know him & have delt with him.
1st of all I'd like to state that I would NOT concider him a 'Dealer' as
a bussiness. I would concider him more of an entrapaneur who just loves
TRIUMPHs & some other British cars. [I personaly deal ONLY with TR4/A's
in parts because of my limited space & income.] He has been going around
the US picking up Very Solid TR's [3->6], strips them down to sandblast;
repair any rust spots, if any, back to org. solid quality; primes them &
sets them aside for futhure work. Therefore, any parts that he has,
usally goes to some car that he wishes to keep with that car. If he does
have any spare parts for sale, they will be of ecxellent quality or will
be priced accordingly. [We ALL know from previous threads that when
selling or buying parts, there is bound to be discrepencys. This I feel
is between thoes people involved, & I do Not wish to get involved in
that.] He feels that if he is to sell any of his cars that have been
work on by him [say body work], then he should be rembursed in materials
& labor. If one does NOT wish to pay the price asked for, then he's
willing to talk it over, but if not agreed apond, then fine [as  the
price will only go up when he does more work on it to move along closer
to the finish product]. Therefore, if one wishes to do their own work on
the car, then my suggestion is to buy early form him or the price goes
up as more labor & material is put into the car, when he gets around to
it.
        Many people on this list have had to wait for info. from me because
I'll go to him to take measurements off of several of his cars to beable
to give that person as much info. for them to make decissions on their
questions that have been asked.
        Jerry, I don't know what dealings you have had with him [& I feel
that's between you & he], but it sound like you & he have been
discussing a part/s deal that you feel is not what you want. Suggestion:
Talk it over, & if you are not satisfide, then simply say: "No thank you
on this deal." & walk away. I find that if I can Not agree on a price
with people over an item, not to hold it against them on the next time I
wish to talk business with them.        -Cosmo Kramer