RE:TR6 ring gear question teamfat2.dsl.aros.net id g04JtS103107

Subject: RE:TR6 ring gear question teamfat2.dsl.aros.net id g04JtS103107
From: Pete & Aprille Chadwell <pandachadwell@mac.com>
Date: Fri, 4 Jan 2002 11:55:19 -0800
>On one hand, if I resurface the flywheel, weld the ring gear and then
>make sure it's balanced I don't see any real issues other than I've got
>a welded ring gear to the flywheel.  But if there is a way around
>welding it and making sure that it fits then I would prefer that
>solution.
>
>Ideas?

In my case, the DPO had welded the ring gear on in 4 places around
the flywheel, which indicates to me that he had SOME awareness of
balance being an issue.  But I seriously doubt it was anywhere NEAR
balanced.  As far as I know, balance and future removal of the ring
gear would be the only issues to consider where welding the ring gear
is concerned.

I'm no machinist, but I can think of one solution that might solve
the problem.  Of course, I'll offer no guarantees or opinions as to
whether it would be cost effective.  My idea would be this:  With the
ring gear in place, have your machinist bore three small holes around
the circumference of the flywheel 120 degrees apart, each hole being
tight against the rearward-facing side of the ring gear.  These holes
would be perpendicular to the outward-facing edge of the flywheel,
and each would drill toward the center of the flywheel.  Then the
holes would be tapped and a small socket-head set screw would be
threaded into each hole.  The holes could be quite small, I would
think, and fairly shallow as well.  The set screws would stand proud
of that outward-facing surface just enough to provide an obstacle
that would prevent the ring gear from slipping rearward.  Removal of
the ring gear would be facilitated by simply unscrewing the set
screws.  Of course, you would want to use some Loc-Tite on the
threads.  You might be able to do the same thing with small steel
pins instead of set screws, which would be pressed into the holes,
however, you'd run a greater risk (I would think) of having the pins
pull out due to centrifugal force AND if they didn't pull out that
way, they'd be hard to remove when it came time to remove the ring
gear.

Another idea would be to knurl the outward-facing surface of the
flywheel.  This would grow the circumference of the flywheel
slightly, perhaps enough to make the ring gear grip more permanently.
Seems like that would be some guesswork, though.

These are 'abstract' ideas only
 I BELIEVE they would be feasible and
effective, however since I'm not a machinist there may be other
implications that I'm not aware of.  And of course, there may be a
more elegant and simple solution that someone who IS a machinist
could offer.

I can think of no reasonable explanation for why this problem is
occurring in the first place, however, and that always bothers me.

--
Pete Chadwell
1973 TR6