P1800S

To: geohahn@theriver.com, triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: P1800S
From: a Wallace <wallaces@superaje.com>
Date: Wed, 09 Jan 2002 21:50:33 -0500
Yeah, and it has Girling brakes too, and Smiths gauges. You'd feel right at
home, if it weren't for that reliable Bosch electrical system.
The P1800S was my first sports car, and I loved it. The owner's manual
said, as nearly as I can recall: "This car is equipped with braking systems
and road handling abilities to match the speed at which it is capable of
travelling. Please drive with discretion for other road users."
If your local LBC club is that exclusive, maybe you can get a deal on a
P1800! You will not regret it!
BTW to clarify on the numbering system a bit - the P1800 had an 1800 cc
engine, the P1800S went to 2 litres and somewhere in there they switched
from SU to Strombergs, mid way through '69 came the P1800E with fuel
injection adding 15 hp (taking it to 130 I think) and four wheel discs, and
finally for just two years (maybe 71 and 72) they had the P1800ES, which
was the station wagon version.
If you can find a good one, buy it! As usual, the major thing to watch for
is rust.
Also a reminder for all you SU and Stromberg fiddlers: I have a pdf
download available of the Volvo service manual section covering  these
carbs at: www.geocities.com/wallaces_21/home.html
Happy motoring,
Jim
From: Geo Hahn <geohahn@theriver.com>

Sooo... is a P1800 a British car? I ask because there are several nice ones
around here and our local club is for any British car.
When you open the bonnet it looks British with those SUs and I will always
associate the car with the suave sophistication of Roger Moore as The Saint.
Certainly a English Ford is a British car, but is the P1800 stretching the
point
too far?