RE: Removing TR3 Steering Box

Subject: RE: Removing TR3 Steering Box
From: Randall Young <ryoung@NAVCOMTECH.COM>
Date: Thu, 10 Jan 2002 14:49:46 -0800
Dave :

That was likely my post you lost, but I seem to have lost it too.  The split
column box can definitely be taken out without removing the apron, I did it
when I rebuilt mine a few years back.

Basically, take everything on the box and lower column loose, then take the
motor mounts loose and jack the engine to the side.  Once there's room
between the column mount bracket on the frame, and the front plate on the
engine, you can lift the steering box out.

Obviously you'll start by removing the control head and stator tube.  As a
shortcut, I did not pull the wires completely out of the tube, but rather
left about 1/2" of the longest wire hanging out of the bottom, then removed
the tube with the wires and control head still attached.  Worked out pretty
good, on reassembly I just stuffed the tube into the column with the wires
still in it.  Since I didn't have any help, I alternately pulled on the
wires and lifted the control head towards the steering wheel.  Try not to
damage the "anti-rattle" springs, they are made of unobtanium.

Probably the easiest way to remove the coupling is to take only the lower
pinch bolt loose first, then yank up on the steering wheel to pull the
coupling off the lower shaft.  Then remove the upper pinch bolt, and yank
again to pull the coupling off the upper shaft.  Might as well remove the
wheel and upper shaft completely, this is probably a good time to replace
the bushings in the upper column (if you haven't already).

Remove the two bolts that hold the lower column to the frame, and the two
that hold the steering box bracket to the frame.  Also loosen the two pinch
bolts that clamp the steering box to the bracket.  Obviously the silentbloc
has to be removed, but the Pitman arm can stay attached to the box.  I
bought a pinch-type tie rod separator that should work well on the
silentblocs, but haven't had a chance to try it.  Let me know if you'd like
to be the guinea pig.  Move the center tie rod to the rear, off of the
pitman arm.

Now remove the two bolts that hold the left motor mount to the frame.  I'm
not sure it's necessary, but I also removed the two on the RH side, to avoid
straining that mount.  I left the radiator hoses attached, but you might
want to drain the radiator and disconnect the hoses.

I used a block of wood and a floor jack to lift the LH side of the engine,
but a hoist on the front eye would probably work just as well.  It doesn't
have to come up very far (you actually want to just lean it over to the
right), but it does have to move.  Then swing the upper column toward the
engine (letting the steering box pivot in it's bracket) and pull the
assembly upwards and rearwards so the bracket comes free of the frame.  I
used an assortment of pry bars and swear words for this last step <g>

Reassembly is, as they say, the reverse.

In defense of the factory manual, it was written for the earlier one piece
column, and probably is the easiest way for that case.

Randall
59 TR3A TS39781LO