RE: Re: [smogging a non-California 1980 Spitfire]

To: triumphs@autox.team.net, vtr@autox.team.net, mkay@uclink.berkeley.edu
Subject: RE: Re: [smogging a non-California 1980 Spitfire]
From: Randall Young <ryoung@NAVCOMTECH.COM>
Date: Fri, 11 Jan 2002 21:17:15 -0800
Matthew :

High CO (carbon monoxide) is almost always a result of the fuel/air mixture
being too rich (by smog standards).

There are usually a handful of possible causes, and I am not familiar enough
with your car to comment on all of them.  Most likely a minor carb overhaul
by a competent mechanic and a "low emissions" adjustment (using a CO meter)
will solve the problem.

My first guess would probably be a torn/leaking diaphragm (which would be
replaced as part of the minor overhaul).  Other possibilities include :
1) Choke not releasing fully
2) Mixture set too rich (this should be impossible, but there's no telling
what some previous mechanic has done).
3) Float level set too high
4) Leaking float valve
5) Fuel saturated float
6) Worn needle or jet
7) Liquid fuel in the carbon canister or vacuum lines
8) Wrong carburetor (from an earlier model or a different car entirely)

Note that 6% CO at idle, while way above the allowable limit for your car,
is pretty common on older cars.  Your car likely runs 'better' with the
mixture set that rich than it will once it's been corrected.  Engines that
run poorly with the correct tailpipe CO usually have ignition or compression
problems.

Another thing you need to know : Did the smog guy do your test on-line (ie
were the results sent to the state) ?  If so, your car has been tagged as a
'Gross Polluter', and there are special procedures you need to follow to get
it certified.  Not too terrible, but different. See
http://www.smogcheck.ca.gov/StdPage.asp?Body=/Smogcheck/default.asp
for more info.

Randall - in smoggy So CA