Seam sealer undercoat removal

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Seam sealer undercoat removal
From: Aledotr6@aol.com
Date: Sat, 12 Jan 2002 08:35:23 EST
Hello all,

I have re-subscribed after being off for a couple of years while moving, The
TR6 was in storage for a year, I've driven it for a year, and have now we've
settled down enough that I've decided to tackle a fairly major overhaul. I'm
not too worried about the mechanicals (yet), but I'm not sure what approach
to take on the body. I had intended on removing the factory seam sealer,
undercoating and Ziebart( which covers everything the factory didn't) and
then do an assessment of the rust and paint before deciding on taking it down
to bare metal. The problem is getting all that gunk off. I've been testing
one of the fenders using solvents or heat. Heat seems to be the best
approach, but still slow. Also, if you get it to hot, the paint blisters,
which defeats the purpose. Does anyone have a good solution?