Things I would have learned from the list...

To: Geo Hahn <geohahn@theriver.com>
Subject: Things I would have learned from the list...
From: David Massey <105671.471@compuserve.com>
Date: Wed, 16 Jan 2002 09:52:32 -0500
Cc: TR <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Message text written by Geo Hahn
>My fuel gauge and temp gauge both seem to read low.  Could this be a
failing or maladjusted voltage stabilizer?  Or do they fail completely
when they go?  I tried getting a reading off the gadget but it isn't a
steady voltage.  How does one check it?
<

In theroy you could get a storage osciliscope and capture a 5 or 10 second
trace and measure the duty cycle and peak voltage and calculate the average
voltage which should be 10 volts.

Or you could borrow a known good one and substitute.

The stabilizer is a bimetal spring device that pulses out a PWM signal with
an average output voltage of 10 volts but the frequency is in the range of
1 Hz.  Not fast enough for the hot wire gauges to respond but certainly too
fast (or slow) for any meaningfull voltmeter measurement.

Good luck

Dave