TR3A Fuel gauge/sender unit troubleshooting

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: TR3A Fuel gauge/sender unit troubleshooting
From: Popnglo@aol.com
Date: Thu, 17 Jan 2002 22:12:54 EST
I am about to begin in earnest troubleshooting a fuel indicator problem. I
assume the problem may be either in the fuel gauge itself, the sender unit or
the float, but I haven't yet isolated the problem.

The fuel gauge registers empty when full, and half when empty. So it seems if
not accurate, in any case it does appear to indicate the presence of fuel.
While I'm at it, I also intend to investigate and refurb if necessary the gas
fill line, (filler to tank connector, etc.) since each time I fill up there
is a distinct gas smell which goes away in time. Any suggestion on how to
proceed. Trouble shooting or replacement of sender unit/float.

Thanks in advance to any who have approached this previously.
Best Regards,
Ed '58 TR3A