One more dumb HP question-

To: "Triumph (E-mail)" <triumphs@autox.team.net> FILETIME=[40CDA930:01C1A037]
Subject: One more dumb HP question-
From: "Freeman, Noah" <nfreeman@baincapital.com>
Date: Fri, 18 Jan 2002 10:46:11 -0500 lc>
OK list- this is the last one for a while, I promise!   I am just an unrepentent
horsepower nut who is madly in love with his TR-4...a weird combination I
know, but why fight it?

I have been asking the lists opinon on all the various ways of getting more HP
out of a TR4 short of putting a V8 in (long term project of course is to find
an old formula one engine and drivetrain, put the TR4 bodyshell on it, and
drive it back and forht to work at 150mph...but that may take a while...in the
meantime, anyone have a good condition F1 drivetrain and engine they want to
sell?)

In all seriousness-
I am midway through a "warm street" conversion on my TR4- Weber DCOE 40s,
headers, TSI moderate cam.
        -I am stopping short (as of yet) of pulling out the engine, and
rebuilding
the bottom end with superfancy super cool shot peened magnafluxed blueprinted
balanced nuclear powered pieces.  I know I will do this eventually, im just
not ready to pull the engine out this winter.  The PO just rebuilt the engine
normally, and it seems a shame to do it twice in a few thousand miles...

First I asked about weber carbs and cams- everyone was super helpful...I am
now already down that route...

then I asked about Nitrous injection.  Everyone was very good and humored me.
Basically, the word is "yes, you can do it, but carefully" and "you nut, its
not period!" (though they did use nitrous on figher planes in WWII some)

Here is what I hope is my last question- what about period superchargers?  Ive
seen a judson, and contemporary reviews give it about a 25% increase in actual
power...
-what is the shorrock system, how does it compare to judson?
-what is the downside to doing this, except for price, and the normal engine
wear from increased HP questions?
-how hard is the installation?
-How hard is the upkeep?  Do they break a lot?
-How much do they cost?
-what are the sources for kits and spares?

Man, if I rip out my webers right after putting them in to put in a self
carburated judson supercharger, I am going to kill myself...

I think this will be the last question for a while, simply because I have run
out of horsepower options to explore

Thank you all for humoring a dumb kid!

Noah
Noah Freeman
Brookside Capital + Bain Capital
111 Huntington Ave, Boston, MA, 02199, USA
voice 617.516.2922   fax 617.516.2910
nfreeman@baincap.com or nfreeman@brooksidefund.com

[demime 0.97c removed an attachment of type application/ms-tnef which had a
name of winmail.dat]