lightening flywheel

Subject: lightening flywheel
From: Mark Hooper <mhooper@pixelsystems.com>
Date: Tue, 22 Jan 2002 13:22:22 -0500
Every so often people talk about lightweight flywheels. I understand the
obvious benefits for acceleration due to the lessened  amount of rotating
wieght to bring up to speed. However nobody mentions the impact on idling.
My TR6 has a slightly warmer cam and has a very nice peppy acceleration.
However it does not idle all that smoothly. Really not too good below
850-900 rpm. That is with a Crane Cams electronic ignition and a header.
Carbs are original (diaphragms new, jets old). I am concerned that
lightening the flywheel would make the whole machine shake quite badly at
idle. Is this rough idle normal and thus I should fix carb issue 1 before
worrying about weight issue 2 ?

Really more of a "just wondering" than a pressing issue.

Mark Hooper
72 TR6