Options to correct inaccurate Tach

To: "Wages, Jeffrey" <bzw8@cdc.gov>
Subject: Options to correct inaccurate Tach
From: David Massey <105671.471@compuserve.com>
Date: Wed, 30 Jan 2002 13:24:47 -0500
Cc: "'triumphs@autox.team.net'" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Message text written by "Wages, Jeffrey"
>I recently replaced a broken tach cable on my '71 TR6.  The tach now reads
about double what it should be reading.  Since the the tach cable was
intermittent and broke soon after I purchased the car I'm not sure how its
was reading before the new cable.  I'm fairly sure the tach and
trainsmission are original.  I recall some options being mentioned on here
to correct such a problem and appreciate any feedback.
<

Well, it is possible that the tach didn't read right before.  If that's the
case it may be due for a rebuild.  Transmission/rear axle options have no
bearing on the tach operation since that comes direct from the distributor.

It is also possible that the inner cable in the tach cable is too long and
is forcing the driven cup against the drag cup.  If this is so it is also
stressing the jewel bearings.  Try loosening the nut on the back of the
tach part way and see if that changes anything.  If the starts to behave
itself then you can take the cable out and shorten the inner cable a bit
(1/8 inch perhaps) and fix it.

Good luck

Dave