Re: Guess My Weight

To: geohahn@theriver.com, triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Guess My Weight
From: "Michael Gajic" <michaelgajic@hotmail.com>
Date: Mon, 04 Feb 2002 11:38:27 +1100 FILETIME=[4322CD70:01C1AD14]
Geo Hahn wrote:

>The replacement plate (from Moss) has a space where apparently I am
>expected to stamp in the weight in lbs.  My old plate has no such
>stamped number.  If some original TR4 plates were so stamped, what
>weight was used?  (Yes, I can find weight figures for the car, several
>in fact... looking for what was actually used for the commission plate)
>
>Also, from what was left of the paint on plate it appears that the
>weight on the original plate was painted on and was in kilos.
>Apparently there were changes or variations in commission plate other
>than the 'early TR4' and 'late TR4 & TR4A' presented in the moss
>catalog?  Thanks for any insight.

Geo,

There were two styles of plate on the TR4, the early ones had no space for
paint and trim codes while the later ones had paint and trim codes stamped
on. The change occured at CT 28807 (3 January 1964).

Early TR4 plates had the weight printed on together with the text and the
weight (gross laden) used was 1205KG. If your car seemed to have the weight
painted on it probably used the earlier plate. I don't think there were
other changes to the plates other than the early/late change with paint and
trim codes.

FWIW Piggot's book shows the later style plate on a TR4A with no weight
stamped in the gap, however his book also shows a near identical plate from
a TR5 with the weight stamped (in pounds).

Cheers,
Michael
63' TR4 CT23641 O (early style plate)
Sydney, Australia