Refilling coolant in 1980 TR7

To: Anthony Rhodes <ARhodes@compuserve.com>
Subject: Refilling coolant in 1980 TR7
From: David Massey <105671.471@compuserve.com>
Date: Sat, 9 Feb 2002 12:47:30 -0500
Cc: Triumph List <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Message text written by Anthony Rhodes
>All of my manuals say to remove the filler plug from the thermostat
housing and refill there.
Obviously they are referring to earlier cars where there is apparently a
hex bolt on the top
of the housing.

So what do I do?  WIth an aluminum hear, I would imagine that it is
important to refill as much as
possible before running the engine!
<

Tony,

My TR7 manual, in the suplement, says to fill the header tank to within 1
inch of the cap, refit the cap and run the engine until the thermostat
opens.

As I recall there is a hose that leads from the area around the thermostat
to the header tank.  This hose will allow any air in the head to migrate to
the header tank.  I would fill the header tank and wait a few minutes to
see if the level goes down then refill.

The TR8 has a hose that serves the same function and it works quite well in
eliminating air pockets in the head.  This hose is connected to the cooling
system upstream of the thermostat so air can escape even with thethermostat
closed.

The early model TR7's did not have this hose and this fact is the likely
cause of most of the warped heads and the bad reputation the early TR7's
enjoyed.  Filling from the hex plug will eliminate air pockets but service
agents who failed to read the manual and only filled the expansion tank
would not eliminate the air pockets and unhappy events would follow.

Dave
80 TR8