dumb question (was RE: Is this sacrilege?)

To: "'Randall Young'" <ryoung@NAVCOMTECH.COM>
Subject: dumb question (was RE: Is this sacrilege?)
From: Mark Hooper <mhooper@pixelsystems.com>
Date: Tue, 12 Feb 2002 08:05:44 -0500
Cc: Triumphs@autox.team.net
Radall was describing a boosted up Honda with the following:

>(beaucoup boost, ceramic pistons, lots of combustion engineering)

I have a dumb question. I have always heard of people buying ultralight
pistons as part of a performance upgrade, even for TRs. My question is, that
while I can see how lightening the pistons would help a little for
acceleration(they don't weigh much compared to the crankshaft, flywheel and
drivetrain gears and shafting), wouldn't they also cause the engine to be
out of balance? I mean aren't the crankshaft webs balanced for a certain
weight of piston and connecting rod? Doesn't just shoving in a set of light
pistons end up with the engine wearing away at the main bearings? I can see
any backdoor mechanic installing new pistons, but properly rebalancing the
crankshaft is no simple matter. Are they just hoping that there are enough
pistons rattling around in different positions that net cancels out and the
engine more or less stays in place? Sort of ignoring internal stress? Or do
I have it all wrong?

Mark Hooper
72 TR6