RE: TR4 Gen to Alt convert - one owners experiences

To: "'triumphmail list'" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: TR4 Gen to Alt convert - one owners experiences
From: john donnelly <pdonnel1@san.rr.com>
Date: Thu, 14 Feb 2002 09:32:56 -0800 teamfat2.dsl.aros.net id g1EHVLN13390
Hello List,
First off, thanks to everyone who responded to my request for help last week on
installing the alternator into my TR4A. It's in, and it works!!!

Special thanks to Dan Masters who sent an updated installion instruction sheet
(about two years ago), and to the person who suggested that I check the
mounting bracket for excessive interference. I lost your email, but your tip
was spot on. Grinding down the bracket allowed the alt body to get closer to
the engine and allow the alt to line up properly.  Thanks!

I don't know if this is quirky or not but two observations on the conversion.
The first is that there seems to be a minimum "cut-in" time for current to
start moving. It takes a few moments for the red light to extingush and the
ammeter to go positive. Is this strange?

Second is that the 63 amp alternator pegs the ammeter when the engine starts.
If the battery is low could any damage be caused, or should I go to the
"heavy-duty" wiring that Dan suggests? I don't want my new harness fried.

The downside to the heavy-duty wiring is that the alternator output is
connected directly to the battery, so you can't see the charging, only
discharging. But, I've read somewhere that shunting the ammeter with a parallel
resistor (a high wattage one) would effectively could make the ammeter read
1/2. I prefer this approach. Has anybody done this? And, will the wiring
harness take the possible 63 amps for short periods?

Thanks again !!!
John in San Diego
'67 TR4A