RE: Sunbeam Trans. Help

To: <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: Sunbeam Trans. Help
From: "Randall Young" <ryoung@navcomtech.com>
Date: Sat, 16 Feb 2002 12:29:05 -0800
Jim, virtually all of the O-rings supplied today are standard sizes, even if
the originals weren't.  Measure the size of the shaft and hole, then order
the size you need from McMaster-Carr or similar.  MMCs website at
http://www.mcmaster.com/
has lots of information on standard sizes and materials.  For a gearbox, you
probably want Buna-N or Viton.  In some cases, you may need to buy (or make)
a packing washer to go behind the O-ring, since the original rings weren't
always round.  (This is true even of the 'correct' O-rings sold by Moss,
TRF, et al.)

For the other seals, get some gasket material at Walmart and cut your own.
A scrap of MDF and a sharp X-acto knife works well for cutting gaskets.

Randall