4A head rebuild - what to do?

To: tr list <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: 4A head rebuild - what to do?
From: Darrell Walker <darrellw@inetarena.com>
Date: Sun, 17 Feb 2002 19:25:28 -0800
I'm contemplating having the head rebuilt on my 66 TR4A.

First, a quick history.  I've had the car since '81.  The
engine (not the original) was rebuilt under the guidance
of some (big equipment) mechanics that worked for my dad.
I don't remember all of what we did, but I do know that
on the head, all we did was knurl the guides, ground
the seats and ground the valves.  Most where replaced
because they were so worn.  The lifters were surfaced,
but I don't remember if the cam was regroud.

The engine has less than 30K miles since.  I had the
rockers rebuilt about 10 years ago (new shaft, bushings,
ends reground).  The engine is essentially stock, and
likely to stay mostly that way.  The compression looks
good, 195# on all but one cylinder (180# on that one).
Oil pressure is good. There is a small crack between #2
and #3 on the head, but it doesn't seem to be causing any
problems.

I would like to replace the valves, guides and seats,
but should I do anything else while I have the head
off?  New lifters should be easy.  Can the cam be
replaced "in situ" on a 4A?  Assuming I keep the stock
intake and exhaust, would I see any benefit of a
mild performance cam?  Porting/polishing the head?
Anything else to check/replace with it that much apart?

--
Darrell Walker
1966 TR4A IRS