RE: In a Quandry about Intermittent Starts

To: "S Twigg" <seanan@crosslink.net>, "Triumph List" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: In a Quandry about Intermittent Starts
From: "Randall Young" <ryoung@navcomtech.com>
Date: Fri, 22 Feb 2002 21:10:00 -0800
> Everyone,
>       I've encountered a problem with my '80 Spitfire for the past few
> days.  The car will turn over for a while but will not start.  I'll let
> it rest for a minute or two or come back later in the day and it will
> start with some mild effort.
>       My ignition setup is Lucas HEI(Black Box) which had the innards
> replaced with the GM HEI module last year,

Sean :

I have had a GM HEI module fail in a very similar manner, and it got
progressively worse.  It started out as refusing to start under fairly
specific temperature conditions, and progressed to dying and refusing to
restart at certain times (typically about 1 minute after being started cold,
which was just long enough for me to pull out in traffic).

A replacement module from K-mart solved the problem.

One other thing to check, the GM module requires a good thermal connection
to the 'point plate', as a heat sink.  Be sure there is plenty of thermal
grease under the module, and it is bolted down securely.

Randall