RE: lay shaft

Subject: RE: lay shaft
From: Pete & Aprille Chadwell <pandachadwell@mac.com>
Date: Thu, 28 Feb 2002 12:37:36 -0800
>Countershaft is the British term, I believe.  It's the one in the bottom of
>the gearbox (at least on TR2-6).  Since it's geared to the input shaft, it
>(or at least the gears that ride on it) turns the opposite or 'counter'
>direction.

Geez.  I thought layshaft was the British term and countershaft was
the American term.  Learn something new every day!

I'll expand on this by adding that the assembly of gears that rotate
around the layshaft is called the 'laygear' or 'countershaft gear' or
'cluster gear'.  Some cars the laygear is machined from one piece,
others like the TR6, the laygear is an assembly of 5 separate parts,
1st/reverse cluster, (which the other gears slide onto) 2nd gear, 3rd
gear, spacer, and 4th or 'constant' gear.

--
Pete Chadwell
1973 TR6