RE: Commision Plates

To: Randall Young <ryoung@navcomtech.com>
Subject: RE: Commision Plates
From: Steven Newell <newellsteven@yahoo.com>
Date: Thu, 28 Feb 2002 12:41:43 -0800 (PST)
Cc: Triumph list <triumphs@autox.team.net>
--- Randall Young <ryoung@navcomtech.com> wrote:
> I believe the originals were simply stamped.  The
> acid process might be easier to do at home, if you
> have a way to safely dispose of the chemicals
> afterwards.  Works for printed circuit boards
> anyway.

For a week or two in the late '80s while waiting for
his USAF commission, my brother worked at a company
that made etched metal plates in western PA. The
etching process was pretty much as described on the
list. The disposal process involved dumping barrels of
solvent over a hill next to the river, at the
direction of the owner. He was later convicted for
this unsafe disposal, but was given a suspended
sentence because, as a fair-sized employer, he was a
valued member of the community. Apparently
notwithstanding his poisoning of the water supply.

The chemicals involved in the etching process carried
some serious health risks -- prompting my brother to
move on to the Reznor heater factory. In any case, I'd
be inclined to outsource plate production considering
the materials handling issues and risks involved.

Steven Newell
Denver, CO USA
'62 TR4r a lot of guitar lessons.