Re: Rolling back odometer

To: <MRobe33243@aol.com>, <rmf3860@erols.com>
Subject: Re: Rolling back odometer
From: "Fred Thomas" <vafred@erols.com>
Date: Mon, 4 Mar 2002 20:37:45 -0500
Cc: <triumphs@autox.team.net>
> Bob:
>
>       There are federal and state laws against this procedure for a very
good
> reason(used car dealers  for one) .
>
>        I suggest that you get your current mileage  and the condition of
the
> car i.e. restored  affirmed by an independent source  and have this as
> evidence in case you ever dispose of the vehicle.
=======================================
I speak just of Va. on speedo laws, it is against the law to roll a speedo
"BACK", it is not against the law to run the speedo forward, you can also go
to the State Police with your old speed showing correct mileage and get a
door jam sticker showing the speedo has been replaced with the date &
mileage, then turn yours back/forward to 0, again this is permissable, or
you can do with your speedometer as you wish and sign the title "True
Mileage Unkown", all of the above are within the law, I do not think many
people look at antique cars with mileage as a buying factor, they know they
have been around for X number of years, also I think the judge would be
considerate of this fact also, again at least here in Va.  "FT"