Re: painting brake rotors?

To: "Bill Pugh" <anabil@caltel.com>, "Fred Thomas" <vafred@erols.com>, "Darrell Walker" <darrellw@inetarena.com>, "tr list" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: painting brake rotors?
From: "Nelson Riedel" <nelson@buckeyetriumphs.org>
Date: Fri, 5 Apr 2002 22:16:03 -0500
From: "Bill Pugh" <anabil@caltel.com>
To: "Fred Thomas" <vafred@erols.com>; "Darrell Walker"
<darrellw@inetarena.com>; "tr list" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Sent: Friday, April 05, 2002 9:55 PM

| At 8:07 PM -0500 4/5/02, Fred Thomas wrote:
| >Powder-Coat of course, just remove the wheel bearings & grease, bright
| >Aluminum looks very good.  "FT"
|
| I doubt very seriously if even powdercoat would last on the brake
| "rotors"...however, I did use Eastwood's HiTemp Epoxy (two part)
| Bright Red on my brake "Calipers" and rear brake "drums". This stuff
| hardens to a glass like finish, withstands temps to 900F and is
| visible from miles away.
| --
| Bill Pugh

I put $20 worth of POR 1300 degree stuff on my exhaust manifold -- lasted a
few months.    Then used some of FT's Hi temp PC and looks like new after 9
months and  ~4K miles.  I just used that stuff on my rear drums.  However,
am using the regular PC on the rotor (not the part that the pads touch).
The DOT 4 will boil at a little over 300 degrees when wet (after it's been
installed a year or so) and the PC is cured at over 400 degrees, so I'm not
worried about the heat.

Nelson Riedel
Granville, Ohio
'68TR250, '76TR6, '70TR6 (project)