choke won't? TR3A-Follow up

To: "Triumph List" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: choke won't? TR3A-Follow up
From: "Kinderlehrer" <kinderlehrer@mindspring.com>
Date: Wed, 10 Apr 2002 16:22:41 -0700
Success, success, thank the lord all mighty, success at last. To recap, I
couldn't get 1. the chokes to open from insde the cockpit, 2. the chokes to
close without pushing them up from under the hood, and 3. the carburators to
stop leaking, all at the same time- any one or sometimes 2 of the above were
easy.

Thank you Randall, Fred, Joe, Bob, Andy, Jim, Darrell, and all for the
advice, I followed it all.  I wish I could say the solution was one thing,
but in fact, I think it was everything.

I resoaked the cork washers for 24 hours, and eventually substituded rubber
in the front carbs because of leaking, I polished and greased the jets,
replaced the internal springs, and shortened the choke cable. I also bought
new choke return springs and then discarded them and fabricated substitutes
that had less tensil stregth but were shorter.  (seemed like the original
and repalcement springs stopped pulling before the chokes were completely
closed but were too hard to pull if I cut them).

Thanks again to everyone for your ideas and help,

Bob