Change is sad

To: <Triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Change is sad
From: "Ron L'Herault" <lherault@bu.edu>
Date: Thu, 18 Apr 2002 10:07:00 -0400
I don't know, maybe I'm a bit testy today.  For whatever reason, I feel
compelled to rant.

I had a '58 TR 3 from 1968 to 1970, a daily driver.  It had been beat on
before I got it but when I owned it, every bulb and every gage worked.  In
spite of carbs that ran rich even after a rebuild, it started every time.
The battery didn't go dead.  Yes the starter motor failed once and I
crank-started it.  I had to replace the regulator at one point too.  In the
winter, it started when newer cars didn't.   So, why replace the generator.
Just get it working right.  Keep it a TR 3.    I collect antique phonographs
too.  If I pulled out the spring powered motor in a Victor VV VI and put in
a modern electric motor,  it wouldn't be a VV VI any more it would be a
frankenphono.   I have a modern car with an alternator and I have modern
turntables.  I don't think it's right to make antique things modern.

And keep the vinyl seats, install the tonneau.  It looks great when it is
closed and keeps the bird doo off the seats too.  It takes seconds to snap
it in place.

Ron (using the old hood of the TR 3 as a shield) L.