RE: Change is sad (Long Counter Rant. . please don't read)

To: <ryoung@navcomtech.com>
Subject: RE: Change is sad (Long Counter Rant. . please don't read)
From: "John Macartney" <jonmac@ndirect.co.uk>
Date: Sat, 20 Apr 2002 18:20:56 +0100
Cc: "Triumph List" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
> Alternators vs Generators?
> When did Triumph start putting them in?

Randall wrote:
According to Bill Piggott, alternators were optional on the TR4A.  By
1968
(TR5/250) they were standard equipment.

With due respect to Bill, I'd be interested to see the source material
he used to come to this conclusion. AFAIK, alternators on 4A's were
never offered as a line fit option. They may have been available thru
dealers but not as OE. The period approximately from 1967 to 1969 saw
the whole product range change from dynamos to alternators - with the
possible exception of the Herald 1200. Bill?

So, as someone already suggested,
Triumph would also have used an alternator, if they had been available
and
economical.

I well remember seeing alternators on E type Jaguars before the above
dates as factory fit. While we've fairly recently explored this thread
in terms of dynamo/alternator, which is better - it's perhaps prudent
to remember that Lucas pushed and cajoled the vehicle
manufacturers to jump on the bandwagon of the alternator being the
'new (and better) kid on the block.' Further aided and abetted by the
marketing people at all the manufacturers, the alternator was hailed
and promoted as *new technology* and thus the decision to offer it
with a new model was something few sales departments wanted to turn
down. Lucas certainly had the capacity to make them in large numbers -
and did. Once one company made the move, the rest followed and PDQ.
>From memory, the dynamo was dead in about three years at the most.

Jonmac
1950 Ferguson TED20 152318
1970 Triumph 2.5PI MG4305DL(O)