RE: TR2/3 Rebuilt Engine Still Stuck

To: "triumphs@autox.team.net" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: TR2/3 Rebuilt Engine Still Stuck
From: Doug Hamilton <douglasehamilton@shaw.ca>
Date: Wed, 24 Apr 2002 07:43:41 -0600
Others have covered the the importance of not swapping main or rod
bearing caps so I'll just mention a point that a old LBC mechanic told
me to check on my rebuild if you have a 3 main bearing engine such as
the your TR2-4a you should always check the crank and block are true
when reassembling, by installing the crank with just the front and rear
bearings and caps and putting a dial indicator on the the exposed center
main and measuring the run out at the center main while turning the
crank over.  If things aren't true the block needs to be check for
alignment and the crank needs to be checked for straightness.. As a
general rule I always check all the measurements on the the parts I've
had machined before reassembling my engines after all your machinist can
have a bad day just like you can. The minimum I would do is plasti-gauge
all the bearings on reassembly so you have some confidence that
everything is fitting together properly. One thing I haven't seen any
one else say but should be obvious use all new bearings and make sure to
strip and clean everything you've had a major engine failure here. Clean
the rocker arms and shaft, oil pump, etc any where that could be
contaminated with metal bits from the engine failing you don't want to
do this again in another 300 miles. Also you don't have to be a genius
to do a good job rebuilding an engine but you do have to look after all
the little details.

Good luck

Doug Hamilton
1960 Triumph TR3A