Re: Low compression

To: jlumia@ball.com, triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Low compression
From: Popnglo@aol.com
Date: Mon, 29 Apr 2002 22:56:32 EDT
IMHO, I don't think you have much to worry about, nor do not think your idle
issue is related to low compression in one cylinder (again IMHO) . When I got
my "3" a year and 10,000 miles ago, one cylinder (#1) read low (about 90) and
the others about 135 or so.  I was worried, but, not knowing the previous
driving history, or even when the last it had been run much, I decided to
tune it, including the carb balancing, etc and just run it. I assumed that it
could be simply a carbon build up on a valve or valve seat. Well ... as I
said 10,000 miles later I am still driving it, and still considering when to
tear down and replace the standard 83mm set up with 87mm, and of course redo
the the head (and, and, and). As is, its running fine (better in fact than
the day it arrived, much better) and I've not felt the need, nor do I care to
do another compression check. Even if it still read low I'd probably still
put off doing an engine job until absolutely had to. Your results may vary,
however. Randall does bring bring up some good points in his reply, however,
as said though, maybe not enough to worry about. I'd say, give it a good tune
and drive it, for the summer at least.

Best Regards,
Ed (58 TR3A)