Re: overheating- skirted thermostat?

To: flaedersaft@cfaith.com, triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: overheating- skirted thermostat?
From: WBabbitt@aol.com
Date: Sat, 1 Jun 2002 11:19:24 EDT
Scott,
The early TR's had a radiator cap that is deeper than the standard cap.  I
think that was still the case for the TR4A (not sure).  It's easy enough to
check.  Measure from the flange on the radiator to where the lower gasket of
the cap is supposed to seat.  Then measure the corresponding dimension on the
cap.  If the cap is not long (or deep) enough, it won't matter the pressure
rating - it'll be ZERO psi if it's not touching.  I had this trouble with a
brand new cap I ordered from Moss.  There response: "You get what you get".
So I dug up an old grubby one and it works fine.
Hope your problem is as simple as that.
Good luck,
Bill

In a message dated 5/31/2002 7:51:15 AM Eastern Daylight Time,
flaedersaft@cfaith.com writes:

> My TR4A is running well but loses about a quart to a half-gallon of coolant
> through the pressure cap when I have run it for 20 minutes. I read TW's
> website remarks about skirted thermostats solving this problem in a TR3
> motor-
> anyone have any ideas if it's suitable for a TR4A? I have a new radiator
> core
> and new Moss summer thermostat in it.
>
> BTW, the temp guage runs cool, never show hot even when I am blowing
> coolant.
> I figure this may be related to the gas guage which reads less than half
> even
> when full, because they are on the same circuit.
>
> Any ideas?
> Scott TR4A

Bill Babbitt
TR3A like a Phoenix emerges from the bag
Gales Ferry, Ct